CDMOD…Where Children Can See More, Do More, Be More!The Children's Discovery Museum of the Desert provides an exciting opportunity for educators to give a hands-on participatory experience for their students. School Tours allow students to learn through play and celebrate learning as an innately joyful activity. They are available September to mid-June, with reservations, and are open to any organized group of ten or more including preschools, public and private schools, childcare centers, non-profits, church groups, and clubs.
Your School Tour begins with a brief orientation for students, chaperones, and teachers. Each visit includes a hands-on lesson and Museum exploration. Come and take an adventure with us!
Click here for the description of our Hands-on Lessons.
School Tour Times
September, October, and November: Tuesday-Friday
December through June: Monday-Friday
9:30 a.m. start time OR 10:30 a.m. start time
1 hour OR 2 hours of Museum exploration
- School Tour reservations are not available on Museum Holidays and / or School Breaks.
- Your tour starts and ends promptly at the scheduled times. Tardy groups do not receive extended visit time.
- The assigned field trip time allows the children time to explore the exhibits at their own pace.
- We recommend that you make your reservation as early as possible due to popularity of seasonal dates and times.
School Tour Rate
Each School Tour includes 30-40 minutes of an age-appropriate standards-based lesson led by a Museum Educator. Following the hands-on lesson, teachers can choose one hour OR two hours of Museum exploration.
Hands-on lesson and 1 hour of Museum exploration: $5.00 per student
Hands-on lesson and 2 hours of Museum exploration: $9.00 per student
Additional chaperones pay the student rate.
- Each School Tour visit can accommodate up to 3 classes of 30 students each.
- 1 chaperone, NOT including the teacher, is required for every 5 children.
- The classroom teacher and required chaperones receive complementary admission.
- Additional chaperones beyond the 1:5 ratio pay the student
- Chaperones who attend with siblings will be charged regular museum admission of $9.95 / person ages 1+ and will not count towards the chaperone requirement.
- Classroom teachers and parent helpers are responsible for the behavior of their group and any necessary discipline or class management. Chaperones are expected to support the School Tour and assist students in remaining attentive and engaged.
Your 50% nonrefundable deposit must be received 14 calendar days from initial reservation to guarantee your date and time. If the deposit is not received, you may be rescheduled.
- The balance of the tour is due 3 weeks before the School Tour.
- The museum does not provide day of arrival refunds.
- Groups with more students attending than reserved will need to pay the per student rate.
- We do not accept guest passes or memberships for School Tour visits.
In the event that you need to reschedule your School Tour, we will do our best to accommodate you. We ask that all tours be rescheduled at least 3 weeks in advance. Your non-refundable deposit can be applied towards a future School Tour within the same school year.
Scheduling Your School Tour Adventure
To reserve your School Tour, please fill out and submit the School Tour Request Form with your choice of Museum exploration time, three possible dates, and your hands-on lesson selection.
- Our School Tour staff will contact you with a School Tour Reservation form to confirm date and time.
- You will receive a Confirmation letter, School Tour Procedures, and a pre-visit lesson after your deposit has been received.
- Museum staff are on hand to assist visitors and parent helpers.
- Shared picnic space is available before or after your field
trip at no extra charge - please include the request on your reservation form
tables are available but are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. If
the picnic tables have been reserved by another group, CDMOD will provide
blankets for students to eat on the lawn.
- Picnic tables are available but are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. If the picnic tables have been reserved by another group, CDMOD will provide blankets for students to eat on the lawn.
For more information about School Tour Programs, please contact the School Tours Coordinator, at 760-321-0602 x111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.